6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Successful completion of level 2 of any specialisation in the Master of Design or by permission
This unit requires students to conceptualise their final semester's research project in relation to relevant theory and practice. It provides the synthesis between text-based critical analysis and a final studio design outcome. The structure and content of the exegesis accompanying their final submission will be used as a way of examining the theoretical models, investigative methods and contribution that their research makes to the field. This exploration will enable the candidate's development of a conceptual framework in studio research and exegesis that identifies the relations between research intention and research method. In doing so, the academic integrity of both types of output will be strengthened. Students will be encouraged to use the work produced throughout their Master of Design to develop new conceptual frameworks for their discipline.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Have identified a conceptual framework for the research;
- Argue the logic of their research process;
- Situate the relevance of their research within a contemporary context;
- Engage with both their own practices and those of others in a critical manner that informs their work and demonstrates an awareness of the wider field;
- Have translated an aspect of their enquiry into a relevant form of scholarship to the field of research (eg; academic poster, abstract, conference paper, journal article, research report); and
- Be equipped to sustain an exegetical elaboration of their research.
100% in-semester assessment
10 hours per week including 2 contact hours plus 8 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information