6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Successful completion of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited fourth year sequence in psychology.
The aim of this unit is to develop students' ability to practice ethically in a variety of psychological contexts. It covers the ethical dilemmas that might exist in psychologists' professional roles in diverse workplaces. Ethical, legal and moral issues are considered and discussed, as are ethical approaches pertaining to the practice of psychology, conducting research, assessments, and program design and evaluation. Psychologists' activities across a variety of contexts and communication mediums (including online service provision) are considered within an empirically supported ethical decision-making model. Guided rehearsal to support the development of skills relating to general professional psychological practice is also provided.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- apply the Australian Psychological Society (APS) code of ethics across a variety of contexts and professional roles;
- identify the ethically complex situations that can develop in the application of psychological principles in practice;
- draw from a range of empirically supported client and practitioner values and behaviours to ensure ethical behaviour in all aspects of the science and practice of psychology;
- incorporate decision-making strategies and empirically supported practices to enact and maintain appropriate ethical conduct;
- integrate ethical principles into psychological work in multidisciplinary workplaces.
Weekly quiz (1600 words equivalent, 40%)
Report (2400 words, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 12/144 hours per week/semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
2 hour workshop per week
- Additional requirements (all students):
10 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information