12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Enrolment in D6006 Master of Professional Counselling
In this unit, students undertake a supervised research project in the field of counselling. This unit requires students to investigate theoretical issues through a critical review of current literature, and will increase understanding of a topic area and relevant research methodologies. The research skills that students have acquired inCounselling research design, statistics and program evaluation, will be applied to their planned research project. Students will learn how to conduct a research project in compliance with the ethical guidelines and other academic conventions, and will prepare data collection/survey tools, collect first-hand data, conduct statistical analysis and write a report to communicate to a professional audience. This unit will assist students to develop analytical skills and advanced research knowledge, which prepares them to conduct evidence-based practice in counselling and/or pursue a higher degree by research.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- choose a research topic within a relevant body of academic scholarship
- review the field of study thoroughly and identify implications for research
- plan and schedule the research activities, data analysis and report writing
- focus a research project on selected research methodologies
- implement research activities with due regard to ethical procedures and academic conventions
- demonstrate a capacity to engage in reflective, critical discussion of the relevant research area.
Individual research project report (10,000 words, 100%)
(NB: A 10 000 word research project is required in order to meet Monash requirements for progression to PhD studies)
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Supervision: one-on-one supervision activities equivalent to 1-2 hours per week
- Additional requirements (all students): Independent study to make up the required minimum hours during the semester.
See also Unit timetable information