This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019
and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined
in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Faculty of Information Technology
Software development focuses on the technologies and techniques used to create computer-based systems and the development processes used in the construction of applications software, from large-scale enterprise systems to web-based and mobile applications. It will prepare you for careers in positions responsible for the development and implementation of software systems. You will learn about all aspects of the software development process, from systems analysis and design to programming and implementation.
Software development is listed in the Bachelor of Information Technology at Clayton as a minor, major or extended major.
In addition to achieving the broad outcomes of their course, students successfully completing this major will be able to:
- analyse requirements, and design, implement and maintain software applications.
Minor requirements (24 points)
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited to the minor.
- The following units (12 points):
- FIT1045 Algorithms and programming fundamentals in Python* or FIT1048 Fundamentals of C++ or FIT1051 Programming fundamentals in Java
- FIT1050 Web fundamentals
- And two units (12 points) from:
Major requirements (48 points)
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited to the major and at least 18 points must be at level 3.
- The following five units (30 points):
- One of the following units (6 points):
- FIT2081 Mobile applications development
- FIT2104 Web database interface
- Two of the following units (12 points):
Extended major requirements (72 points)
No more than 24 points at level 1 may be credited to the extended major and at least 24 points must be at level 3.
- The requirements of the major in software development (48 points)
- The remaining unit (6 points) from the units listed in (b) under the major
- Two level 3 units (12 points) from those listed in (c) under the major
- One unit at level 2 or 3 chosen from (c) under the major or from the following electives:
- FIT2095 eBusiness software technologies
- FIT2099 Object-oriented design and implementation
- FIT2101 Software engineering process and management
- FIT2100 Operating systems
- FIT2107 Software quality and testing
Successful completion of the minor, major or extended major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:*
- C2000 Bachelor of Information Technology
Students in this course can complete the minor or the extended major by using 24 points of their free electives or, where relevant, prescribed FIT electives.*
Students in other single bachelor's degrees may be eligible to complete the minor or major by using 24 or 48 points of their free electives.
Successful completion of the minor or major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Information Technology component in the following double degrees:*
- B2017 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Information Technology
- B2025 Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Information Technology
- A2009 Bachelor of Criminology and Bachelor of Information Technology
- F2012 Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Information Technology
- F2006 Bachelor of Fine Art and Bachelor of Information Technology
- C2002 Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- C2003 Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
- L3010 Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Information Technology