12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 1 2018 (Flexible)
- Term 3 2018 (Flexible)
Not available in the MEd in Inclusive and Special Education
This is an intensive unit that introduces students to research in education. Students learn the language of research, understand the ethical implications of research decisions and learn how the elements of research design work together for robust outcomes. This unit is the prerequisite for(Research project in education), and students undergo a scaffolded transition into their own research project.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- locate their research interest within broader research perspectives and methodologies in the field of education and social sciences
- formulate research questions that are congruent with a chosen research approach
- design ways to generate and analyse qualitative and quantitative data that are congruent with specific research questions
- use research processes with due regard to ethical procedures
- justify proposed research through scholarly and critical discussion.
Research task 1 (4000 words, 50%)
Research task 2 (4000 words, 50%)
Flexible mode offers students blocks of on campus teaching to supplement self-directed learning activities and assessment in a supported way; this unit is not designed to be completed exclusively online.
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for flexible students:
- 36 hours equivalent of learning activities over the semester
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to meet the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information