12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
The unit is offered to Honours and postgraduate students who need specialist skills in ancient Greek and/or Latin. Students are divided into two cohorts depending on the language of their preference and undertake guided reading complemented by advanced language tuition.
By the completion of this unit, it is expected that students will able to:
- Engage in independent research based on texts written in ancient Greek or Latin
- Have a thorough understanding of the history and development of ancient Greek or Latin language
- Have a thorough understanding of the history of Greek or Latin literature (history, poetry, oratory, etc.)
- Be familiar with a number of genres of ancient Greek or Latin writing and their conventions
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information