6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
ATS2924 or ATS3924
This unit builds upon the skills acquired in ATS2924: Introduction to Ancient Egyptian language and provides students with a firmer grasp of the language and aspects of ancient Egyptian culture transmitted through historical and literary texts. Study will focus upon the translations of key texts to show how we reconstruct key aspects of ancient Egyptian culture.
On successful completion of this unit students will:
- acquire a comprehensive understanding of the structure and grammar of the language;
- be able to translate full texts;
- be able to write confidently in hieroglyphic script;
- be able to relate translations to the broader cultural framework of Egyptian society - the actual meaning of the text.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information