6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
or LAT1010 or VCE Latin
The unit is designed to further students' knowledge of Latin, gained in, and improves their reading skills to the point where authentic Latin texts may be read and enjoyed. Students make significant progress with their understanding of Latin grammar and syntax, while reading increasingly authentic texts by authors such as Virgil, Cicero and Suetonius. Learning is reinforced by weekly grammar exercises and vocabulary tests.
On completion of this unit, students will have achieved:
- A concrete knowledge of Latin grammar and syntax to allow most Latin texts to be approached successfully;
- An enhanced active vocabulary in Classical Latin;
- Reading skills in Latin to allow most Latin text to be approached successfully;
- A greater understanding of the historical and cultural context of Classical Latin, especially the Republican period.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Exam: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information