6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit focuses on the design, construction and deployment of mobile applications, with particular focus on Android and iOS platforms. Areas such as mobile data management and networking, MVC design patterns, and mobile GUI design considerations will be explored. The unit will emphasise hands-on, practical experience with actual devices and emulators. Research topics and ideas will also be covered for post-graduate students.
At the completion of this unit, students will:
- recall the history of mobile platforms and the development of software for those platforms;
- describe the MVC design pattern and explain the importance of this design pattern in mobile applications development;
- critically analyse and distinguish between the design considerations for mobile application interface development and traditional interfaces;
- analyse and implement the use of graphic and audio components in the development of mobile applications;
- investigate, design, construct and publish applications for mobile platforms with particular focus on Android and iOS.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information