6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit draws together students from various levels of musical experience at pre-tertiary level and consolidates fundamental skills in creative music technology. Students develop technical skills by completing tasks that demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of computers, synthesizers and audio recording equipment in a studio setting. Students also begin to formalise conceptual ideas concerning the use of music technology and music programming this prepares them for the next unit in the sequence, ATS1049 Creative music technology 2.
Upon completion of the unit, students are able to:
- Demonstrate the fundamental conventions of computer recording and music programing;
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic sound synthesis;
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of audio signal flow in a studio situation;
- Demonstrate musicianship through composition and music programming;
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant repertoire and music technology genres through programming compositions.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Creative music technology or Ethnomusicology and musicology specialisations.