This specialisation will prepare you to teach infants and children from birth to 12 years of age in childcare, kindergartens, preschools and primary schools. You will learn how to engage young children in meaningful learning through innovative pedagogical practice and how to help them develop their creative, physical, personal, intellectual and social capabilities. You will learn how to support children's transition to school and their progress through the primary years. You will actively engage with contemporary theories, concepts and practices of early years and primary education, developing inclusive practices to meet a diversity of children's needs and building a repertoire of strategies to manage children's learning in classroom settings. Added to this will be the study of the key elements of the primary curriculum including English and literacies, mathematics, arts, humanities, science, technology, and health and physical education. You will develop a deep understanding of the social and cultural contexts of early years provision for children, develop skills to work with families and communities and learn to identify the range of local and international early years services available to practitioners.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 points unless otherwise indicated.
Part A. Orientation studies (24 points)
- EDF4120 Learning at the heart of teaching
- EDF4121 Teaching: The power to change
- EDF4122 Teaching partnerships: Working with families and communities
- EDF4123 Literacy across the years
Part B. Specialist education studies and Part C. Professional practice (72 points)
The professional experience units below require 85 days of professional experience, in five blocks of 15 days and an additional block of 10 days, completed in early childhood and primary school settings.
For specialist studies (66 points) students complete:
- EDF5016 Inclusive teaching
- EDF5017 Numeracy for learners and teachers
- EDF5018 Curriculum, assessment and reporting
- EDF5021 Lenses on child development
- EDF5023 Creative development for children
- EDF5024 Play and pedagogy
- EDF5025 Early childhood policy transformations
- EDF5030 Science education in the primary years
- EDF5031 Literacy and English education in the primary years
- EDF5032 Numeracy and mathematics education in the primary years
- EDF5035 Health and physical education in the primary years
For professional studies (6 points) students complete:
- EDF5019 Teacher as professional leader
- EDF5925 Early years professional experience 1 (0 points)
- EDF5927 Early years professional experience 3 (0 points)
- EDF5928 Early years professional experience 4 (0 points)
- EDF5931 Primary professional experience 1 (0 points)
- EDF5935 Primary professional experience 5 (0 points)
- EDF5936 Primary professional experience 6 (0 points)
85 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in early childhood and primary school settings.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/postgrad/edu-06.html) for information.
Related areas of study
D6001 Master of Teaching